Saturday, December 18, 2010

Of Superheroes and Wonderwomen

So it's been far too long since I've updated the ol' Blog for my two loyal followers, one of which happens to be my beautiful girlfriend Tori Weilandt, but I'll get to that later.
Two weeks have nearly passed since I've made a post and many many things have happened in those two weeks. First of all, I graduated year 10 at Billabong High on 9th December 2010. This brought about a realisation of change for me. First of all I realised that the friends I have made and developed over the past four years may all rot and fall from beneath me, the best will stay, the rest will crumble. Secondly, I realised this will most likely be my last holidays in my hometown of Culcairn. I'll be moving into North Albury as of April next year and I can't wait. The third of the changes that would occur to me would be completely and respectably sober, to shit-faced drunk over a period of 12 hours. How exciting! I loved spending the night with my equally blind friends, didn't quite so enjoy the next morning when the room spun and my head imploded.
In the time it's taken me to blog up, I've also found an appreciation for Comic Books. Namely one by James O'Barr called; The Crow. A man is killed on the eve before his wedding (and Halloween) after being forced to watch his murderers rape and kill his fiancee. One year later the Crow brings him back from the dead to seek revenge on the ones who destroyed all hope inside him. Okay, I admit I saw the movie first (you may have heard of it? Martial Art's legend Bruce Lee's son was killed on set) but I've done my research and have hunted down the original comic book and it is on its way in the mail as I type. The second installment, The Crow: Dead Time, has arrived and been read twice in a day.

Me dressed up as The Crow/Eric Draven

I'm also looking into Hellboy comics.
Whilst on the subject oof comic books and movies (kinda), I wish to share with you something I have mixed emotions about. For my 15th birthday I took a group of friends and my dad to see Watchmen. This felt like a disappointing movie at the time. It took so long to go nowhere and there was not enough action to keep me satisfied. However I thought visually it was brilliant and the story was well thought up. A very depressing story at that but still a great story. Recently I went to the nearest library (with books newer than 1950) and found the graphic novel. As I read through it I noticed that the film was (as far as I read) frame for frame the same as the novel. I found this astounding and have now rented the film again, which I will watch tonight, to try and appreciate further than my disappointment let me the first time.
Who watches the Watchmen?
Another depressing movie, which I watched for the first time today, is Donnie Darko. Now, when people ask me what it's like and what it's about, it's a very very difficult movie to describe. So I do it thus, "It's about a young man, played by Jake Gyllenhall, who suffers with mental problems and is obsessed with Time Travel." And that's about as far as I can go with it. I've watched it once and don't quite fully understand it. Perhaps when I IMDb it or watch the special features I'll understand it more but for now, I've got no idea. If you're in the mood for a feel good coming-of-age movie, don't choose this one folks.


I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.
So I made an embarrassing post a while back claiming that there was a girl who gave me "jiberries". This was a word we came up with to describe the butterflies in your stomach when you think about someone. Well since then I've gone out with said girl (Tori Weilandt) and am now in a relationship with her. She makes me happy beyond belief.
I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting that's happened in the past week, but here's the low down for today:
I woke up at about 11 am at my friend's house and watched Heath Ledger's last film; The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Then I packed up my crap and went home. Got home and got bored, very quickly. So I threw on Donnie Darko and was kinda freaked out by it, not to mention depressed by it. At 8 pm I saw Carl Barron perform at the Albury Entertaining Arts Centre. Was a wonderful show and I laughed the whole way through it.


Thanks for reading folks, not much of a conclusion tonight but hey, I'll leave you with this quote from The Crow:


Nothing is trivial

No comments:

Post a Comment