Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Cods!

This weekend my family and I usually head to a twon called Mulwala, situated beside the Lake Mulwala. Every year at this time is a competition held, it's called the Lake Mulwala Cod Classic. This is where fisherman from all over come to Lake Mulwala to attempt, most times dismally, to catch a Murray Cod which is famous to the region. We didn't go this year.
Instead of heading south, we travelled north. Past Gundagui to a place called Burrinjuck Lake. Here, apparently (and more noticeably), is famous for it's Murray Cod too. The plan was to stay here from Friday through to Sunday and see what we could catch.
On Friday, Dad and I fished for close to 7 hours and he was in the lead with a pathetic Redfin and two undersized Cod (less than 60 cm). I went back to our cabin empty handed.
On Saturday however, I slept. I slept until 11 am. Everyone was on the water fishing, whilst I lazed around the cabin, reading, sleeping, eating. But (!) when they got back from fishing, I slept again! Until finally Dad woke me up at 4 pm and we were out on the water. The previous day, Dad had caught his two Cod on the one lure, and thus I was apt to try it. We put the boat in at the boat ramp (was that necessary information?) and put our lures on soon after we were aboard, I with the Gold one Dad had used (which is now such a legend we named it "Old Gold"), and Dad with one that doesn't really deserve a mention. After around 10 minutes I felt a tug on my line and tugged back, I'd hooked a fish. Winding it in, and feeling it's fight (or lack thereof), I said to Dad, "It's not very big, it's not fighting real hard." But as colour became apparent in the greeny-brown waters of the lake, low and behold, I'd hooked a metaphorical horse!
It weighed in at 69.5 cm long and 15 pounds (or 7 kilos) heavy! Here's the picture:

Me with Ol' Mate (69.5cm, 7 kilos)

That is by far the biggest fish I've caught in my life! The rest of the trip was fairly un-eventful, I caught one more Cod, but not a keeper and no-where near as big as the one before it. I placed third in our Fishing Club (Morven Fishing Club)'s small scale competition and won a Burrinjuck Hat, which I wear proudly.


Looking forward to next year's trip to Burrinjuck, and I hope that I can catch Ol' Mate's bigger brother then.


Also, I'd like to give an embarrassing shout out to the person who's stayed on my mind the whole weekend, and given me 'jibberies' when I thought I was calm and collected. You know who you are.


Peace out Hombre's.

No comments:

Post a Comment