Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Of Death Defying and Freedom

"Because I could not stop for death,
He kindly stopped for me.
The carriage held but just ourselves,
And Immortality" - Emily Dickens
"It's not death if you refuse it" - James O'barr
Recently I've been thinking about how the general population of modern day teens interprets the world. I'm not sure about this, so correct me if I am wrong, but they all seem to think they each own it? Think for a second, when a boy doesn't like a girl the way she likes him, she "fucks her life"? And if a guy doesn't get sex on the first date, he's whipped? I'm finding it hard to understand how so much negative energy is propelled through such young and not-so-world-weary beings.
I'm 16, I know, and I had my problems with growing up for a year or so but looking back I had nothing compared to the teens after me supposedly have. It seems a small percent of the population wants to be alive. And not just breathing and eating and farting and drinking and again, but to LIVE! Be a LIVE person! This is what I'm doing, living. Making the most of every day, chasing my dreams (however far fetched) enjoying every breathing, blinking moment as though (and how cliche...) it were my last.
I refuse death. For now at least, until a time when I'm old and grey. Between the time where my family has grown up and where I'm just waiting to die. Please, never let me reach the stage where I'm waiting to die...

Also, Bliss N Eso is my favourite band. Of all time, I've bought two of their CDs and one of thier DVDs so far this year, which is more than I can say for any other musician in my life. They speak of freedom constantly, either directly through their lyrics, or indirectly through how much fun they have (being ALIVE!) just being themselves.
Makes me want to spread my proverbial wings and take proverbial flight.


Also, yesterday I spent a most wonderful day with my most wonderful girlfriend, Tori Weilandt. We had a grand day, although we did very little. When afternoon came I met her mother and brother for the first time and, although I wanted to make a good first impression, I felt for once that I could just be myself. I've come to the conclusion that there is no one else I can possibly be and that if people can't accept me for who I am, then I can't accept them for that. I don't need people who think I'm someone else in my life, what's the point? Being around the people who accept you for who you are is, in my opinion, love. And that, my friends, is freedom.



Stay True. Stay Gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment